Saturday, January 2, 2010

A tiny addition to our family

I'm not really an animal person. I love animals, but not enough to take care of one. For Christmas, however, Michelle's brother Spencer got us a Betta. As a surprise to me, I was pretty stoked about it. Like I said, not really into taking care of animals. The first couple of days he got a double helping of food because Michelle and I hadn't quite decided who was going to feed him. Side not...I'm not sure if he is a he...if you know that sort of thing, I'd be glad to know. Anyway, I decided to take the responsibility to feed him. It's actually been kind of fun. When someone comes into the room he goes to the top of his jar and waits. If you tap lightly where you're going to put the food in, he goes to that spot. I'm pretty sure he swims other places, but for the most part he chills at the surface when there's anyone in the room.


Since it's been a week since we got him, we figured we should probably give him a name. Michelle is all about the nick-names, so she didn't really mind what the name was as long as there was something shorter she could call him. I decided on Alpha. You know since he's a Betta? I know it's lame, but what else would you expect. Michelle decided to call him Alphie for "short." Anyway, it's been a piece of cake taking care of him so far, but we still have yet to change his water...we'll see how that turns out. These are pictures of Alpha's home. He's a handsome fish if I do say so.

2 comments:

Katie said...

You guys are still alive! Alphie is a male. The females are dowdy plain little things. Good luck. Our last one lived for several years. Their jar doesn't get so yucky if you keep it out of direct sunlight. Yes, I am a know-it-all.

Jamie said...

just a recommendation...cover your garbage disposal when you clean the tank. We had one that jumped over his net as we were dumping the water out and land straight in the disposal, he survived that ordeal only to die of a freak tank breakage while we were out to dinner.
wow, that was all pretty negative! he did live for about a year, and it was fun to have him :)